Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Weak and starving both?

Milk's had two very bad days. He has fallen repeatedly. His back legs just don't support him. I don't know if this is caused by the phenobarb; other people on the epi-feline message board also said they had rear leg weakness. But maybe, maybe this is because he's not eating enough, too? The last thing I want to do is recreate his days of being starved. He's so skinny. I weighed him this morning, on that stupid scale that the ounces only go up to .9. The last time he was at the vet's, he weighed 9 pounds, 15 ounces. I'd weighed him at home before we left, and he was 9.9. This morning, on my stupid scale, he was 9.8. Not a lot, I guess - although who knows what he actually weighs, but it's still a loss. Even when I give him two dozen or so pieces of Wellness Kitten dry with his pills, he never finishes more than half. I'm thinking that I need to get some baby food and start bottle feeding him. I don't like poking syringes in their mouths. Or should I ask Dr. G. for cyproheptadine? How come the appetite stimulant part of phenobarbital isn't working at all for him?

Giving him phenobarb is getting more and more depressing; he's still a zombie from the previous dose, and it's time for the next one. Am I supposed to choose for him between this state of being totally out of it or having seizures that have the potential to increase in frequency and severity? I don't want either one for him. I have been periodically giving him one 1/4 tablet instead of two per day(the last dosage increase), which I know isn't recommended, but this is so hard to watch. He hasn't had any seizures since the last increase on July 19, but the cost to him has been enormous. He rarely plays, he falls all the time, and his interactions with the other cats is frequently very agressive and unpleasant when he is awake - a lot of neck-chewing and everyone meowing. Sleeping, he's snuggled up against one of the others just like he used to be when his life was actually a life. The communicator said that it's important to be positive and to affirm the good parts of his life, but truthfully, all I see is a poor little cat that has had a horrible beginning, a decent "middle", and back to horror again, and he's only two years old. I can't watch him wasting away.