Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Well, that's something!


Yesterday, I was poking around in the cabinet under the kitchen sink, and I came across a foil bag of Freeze Dried Nature's Variety Chicken and Turkey Formula. (I remember being a little suspicious about why it was suddenly a "formula" when I bought it.) It's been there for weeks, I guess. Anyway, I opened the bag and found these dried-up, not-unpleasant-smelling "medallions" of yellowish stuff. So, I crumpled one of them over all the food dishes. (One medallion for all, not one for each, because it wasn't marked on the package, but I have a vague memory of being horrified by the cost of this freeze-dried stuff - more than $20, I think, so I'm not about to waste it.) When I set Milk's bowl in front of him, he started to bury it, and then he paused, and THEN, right before my very eyes, he actually ATE the freeze-dried stuff. Not all of it, but at least some. That's one of the few things he's eaten voluntarily in a year. He's had three meals since then, all with the Freeze-Dried stuff on them, and he ate it once more. I even gave him a little bit of the crumpled medallion and added a few drops of water, and he ate a little bit of it. (Busy came by and polished it off.) So that feels like a major step forward. It would be so nice if he'd just start eating again.