Wednesday, April 30, 2008

I had such high hopes.

Milk hasn't had a seizure since February 6, 2008. That's, let's see, almost three months. Two months and three weeks. Oh, how I was hoping... I was able to think that the two seizures in January and the one in February were just medication/dosing failures, and I do think they were. But this one - he's had all of his pills, at the regular times. I just gave him his second Keppras for the day at 6:30.

Can't really describe this one, because he was in his cave when it started. He growled really loudly, and then the cave started to rock, and by then I was over there, but didn't want to move him or anything. He didn't growl the whole time, and it seemed like a fairly short seizure. His head and neck were wet, as was the bottom of the cave, but I'm pretty sure it was just drool/foam, because there was no smell, and it was a very small amount of wetness. (I was worried, though, because Burble and Busy were definitely sniffing around suspiciously at the cave.) When it was over, he jerked just once that I saw, and then laid still for maybe forty seconds. When he came out, he was very wobbly. I called him to come and get something to eat, and he had already been nibbling on one of the food bowls from breakfast. He ate about 1/2 a can of Fancy Feast. He meowed very plaintively and loudly twice before he ate. I gave him a few pieces of dry EVO and Wellness - hate to pass up any opportunity for him to voluntarily eat. He ate them eagerly, too, and then went back to the FF bowl.

I was just thinking yesterday that it's such a wonderful thing not to keep waking up for every sound during the night. So much for that.... I hope - pray - beg - that this was just a breakthrough and not the beginning of another round of seizures that get worse and worse and closer and closer. There was discussion on the epikitty board about how much Keppra can be used, and I said - and I am pretty sure I still feel this way, although I certainly wasn't expecting it to be tested so soon - that I would not expect to hesitate to increase his Keppra if this dosage (about 187mg TID) didn't work any more. I am not interested in starting anything new, and I certainly don't want to increase the phenobarb if it's at all possible to avoid.

Crap. Crap, Crap, Crap.