Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Shhhh! (Still seizure-free....)


I really don't want to blow the good luck - we're coming up on another month without a seizure, although yesterday and especially last night, his behavior was so peculiar that I was really nervous about whether it was significant or not. He was doing a lot of racing around, meowing, leaping, trying to chew Burble - all sorts of unusual behaviors, especially since he's been a little dopey-seeming lately. And his weight is dwindling again, along with his only-newly-found appetite. For a while, he was willing to eat as long as I crumbled freeze-dried Nature's Variety raw medallions on his food, but for the last couple of days, that's not sufficiently enticing. (Although the others can't wait for him to sniff and walk away so THEY can eat his share!) I guess we'll go back to bottle-feeding and see what happens.

The urge to reduce his medication just a smidge has come upon me - he was doing so well for a while there, but he just seems different now, and aside from the again-diminished appetite, he's sleeping for long periods during the day and evening when he would normally have been up and watching the birds and playing and snuggling. Two nights in a row, he's slept on my computer chair in the kitchen. While it's been incredibly hot and sticky and miserable here for a week, the air conditioning has been on and I don't think that whatever's going on with him is weather-related. Anyway, I digress. As usual. I just gave him his morning pills, and left out the additional "chunk" of Keppra that he has gotten three times a day since the last round of seizures. I just want to drop that one amount - the Yahoo seizure people recommend that dosages be identical, but it's worked so far to give two differing amounts of phenobarb, so maybe giving him a smidge less Keppra will be successful, too. Come to think of it - maybe it would be better to drop the chunk from the second (6PM) dose of Keppra, since he's already getting the lowered dose of phenobarb in the morning. I sure don't want to end up with him having seizures in the afternoon because he's low on both drugs in the AM. (This is the problem with being impulsive - second thoughts when things have already been screwed up.) I am praying not to precipitate another whole round of seizures, that's for sure. It is apparently not going to be possible to wean him off the phenobarb, but maybe, since it was increased just slightly, he can do with a little less Keppra. I don't know. Every experiment is scary because the potential aftermath can be so extreme.

Busy figured out how to open the door to my craft room (which I keep closed solely because Scruffy wandered in there TWICE and peed right on the rug! He's NEVER gone anywhere but in his litter box except for that.) And, in the picture above, little Milk found himself a nice soft place to nap. There's a huge pile of Fun Fur underneath him. Surrounded by unborn kitty pi's..... and enough yarn for an army of sleepy cats. I love this little white cat so much.