Friday, June 27, 2008

Something's wrong....





(I have to put this picture of my sweet Milkshake and Burble snoozing together up here. It's one of Milk's many charms that he loves his "brothers" so much. Okay, maybe a picture of Milk with Scruffy, too, and one with Busy, what the heck.... Only I never can get the pictures to end up where I want them to without a whole bunch of copying and pasting.)



Milk just isn't himself. He's sleeping a lot, and he's really wobbly. In addition, he has taken the "pile of bones in a fur bag" appearance to a whole new high. He just looks flat when he lays down. I weighed him this morning, and he was only 9 pounds, 4 ounces. It amazes me that there are cats like Hope and Wheezer who weigh only 7 pounds or so, and they look so healthy. Once Milk started getting food on a regular basis, he got really tall and long. I know he's a whole lot bigger than Wheezer. I don't know. He just doesn't seem right. And the decrease in Keppra - so far, crossing fingers and banging on the desk and **antijinx** - seems to be able to hold off any seizures. So, I don't know what to think. He did actually eat a couple of bites on his own this morning, which makes me nervous now, since the last time he ate voluntarily, he also had 6 seizures in two weeks because the phenobarb dosage had gotten below his "threshhold." I've been giving him one bottle of EVO a day for the last two weeks or so, but I guess I"ll try to up that. Lots more phosphorus to add to the problem....

Even odder, for a week now - since the last dosage reduction, actually - he hasn't been sleeping curled up between my ankles. He's done that for as long as I've had him; now all of a sudden, he's sleeping in the kitchen, usually in my computer chair, or on the window ledge. I want him back. I want the old Milk back. Whatever is going on is scary. I don't want anything to happen to him.

And then, having said that, a couple of nights ago, I noticed that he had black stuff from his eyes on the sides of his nose, and the normally pink tissue around his eyes was all red. Conjunctivitis - exactly what it looked like a couple of weeks ago when I took him to the vet. And got a bottle of Gentamycin drops. So, I looked around the kitchen, and there was a box with a label with no name on it, and the words "Gentamycin Sulfate .03% ophthalmic solution" on it. "For Veterinary Use Only." So, I shook it a little, opened it up, and managed to squirt one drop into his right eye, and two into the left. And noticed that it smelled really strong and bitter. Chemical. He jumped down indignantly and ran off into the living room. At which point, I thought - oh, no, what if I gave him the wrong medication? I am pretty sure that the bottle said "OTIC" on it - Gentamycin Sulfate "OTIC" .03%" OTIC - that means ears. But the box said the "ophthalmic solution" stuff. (I threw it away, so this is never going to be resolved.) Anyway, then I panicked because I noticed that the expiration date was 3/07. So maybe it smelled bad because it was expired? Did I put ear medication - EXPIRED ear medication - in my cat's eyes? Oh, I was a wreck. So, even though it was 1:30 AM, I called Hope and shared my hysteria with her. She was looking stuff up, and I thought maybe I should call the emergency hospital place. Which I did - after being on hold for 15 minutes, the person I talked to put me back on hold and asked a doctor there about the expiration issue - and said that the doctor wasn't hysterical about it and I should wash his eyes out with saline solution. Which would have been fine if I HAD any saline solution. Which, of course, I didn't. I did slosh around his face with regular water - chlorine, I know, but I didn't even have a bottle of bottled water to use........ He seemed okay. But he kept rubbing his eyes with his deformed little white paws. And then, to compound the confusion, I found - in the fridge - a second, smaller bottle of UNEXPIRED Gentamycin Sulfate, dated 07/09. Same other stuff on the box as in the bad bottle's box. No idea about the bad bottle itself. Anyway, now I'm convinced that I've blinded him. Maybe that's why all he wants to do is sleep. He can't see anyway. I try so hard to take good care of these cats. The miracle is that they're all still alive as I type this.