Sunday, August 3, 2008

Hopefully, if it didn't happen then.....



it won't happen again. (Another seizure.) Last Thursday was the worst day we've had in months for Milk's refusal to let me get hold of him to pill him. It started with the 6:00 PM Keppra, which he didn't get until 8:00 PM. The 10:00 PM phenobarb and Marin, and the 2:00 AM Keppra - well, it took me until 3:15 AM to get them into him. I made a dozen trips up and down the steps. I got out every toy in the house, including the laser mouse, which he loves. I tried to trick him into heading down the hallway where all the doors were shut. I tried food. Bonita flakes. Temptations. Bread crust. (I know - he eats next to nothing, but he loves bread crust.) And nothing worked. At 3 AM, I couldn't keep my eyes open any more. I turned off the television and turned out the lights - which I'd tried earlier, unsuccessfully, thinking he'd be fooled into wanting to go to sleep, too. I must have dozed off, because the next thing I knew, there he was, rolled up in a ball with his head on my ankle. And I fooled him! I already had his water bottle and his loaded Pill Pockets sitting there, just waiting to be able to get hold of him. I'm hoping that the whole evening was just a momentary aberration and he'll knock it off forever.

79 days today. I always hate to even think it. Considering all the stuff I'm doing "wrong" with his medication - dissimilar doses, varying times, generic keppra - I'm feeling pretty lucky so far. Oh, I think I should erase that right now.

The eating has been much better since he's been getting raw - and his teeth, because he likes the chunks of chicken, are much cleaner and less yellow. Unfortunately, a couple days ago, he started having diarrhea. (I hate when people discuss their poop issues, but I now have THREE out of SIX cats with a problem, and no solution.) He didn't seem to have any adjustment problems to the raw from the beginning - he liked the Nature's Variety frozen raw, and he loves Dian's raw. SO, I have no idea what to attribute the problem to. I stopped giving everyone the raw chicken three days ago (much to Busy's delight - he hates everything that's not crunchy) , but the problem has continued to exist. I just collected "samples" from Minnie and Toot to take to the vet today (on the premise that maybe they're having a problem because of the worm treatmen), but 1) Milk hasn't been around them, and 2) he doesn't use their litter box. Scruffy and he do, however, use the same boxes. Maybe I caused the problem to become worse by taking away the raw - that would be ironic. I remember reading that yogurt (with probiotics) is good for the problem; but I'm pretty sure it said "full-fat yogurt", and all I could find was "low-fat yogurt". I wonder if whatever makes it low-fat is a problem for cats? At any rate, I've been giving everyone (except Minnie, for obvious reasons) two syringes of the yogurt every couple hours since last night. How I hope it works.