Tuesday, September 2, 2008

You have to wonder........

if this poor little cat can have had 48 seizures in 17 months - and was on quite substantial amounts of anticonvulsants for all but the very first 11 events - and if he should have a fairly normal lifespan of say, 15 years (although that's longer than any cat I've ever had has survived, it's still a reasonable length of time) , and if someone had the capability to do the math.... Well, the number of seizures Milk could possibly have in that scenario doesn't even bear thinking about, does it?

# 48. Four days, twenty-one hours and some minutes since the previous seizure. I guess I should be glad that it was four days, instead of two. I guess I should also throw away my lately-proposed theory about how milk thistle will stave off more seizures. Well, maybe it did - an extra two days? Highly unlikely, I suppose. At any rate - early morning again, very little warning - although there must have been quite a bit of salivation this time, because the sheet he was laying on was much wetter than it has been in recent seizures (but still, thank goodness, no peeing or pooping. I can live with saliva.) Volume and ferocity of growling was up, but flopping was still down significantly and didn't occur until close to the end of the seizure. Sort of sounds like a stock market report... The seizure lasted about 20 seconds, and he lay afterwards with his eyes wide open but not moving at all for about a minute and a half. Jumped down abruptly, raced into the kitchen to see what there was to eat. All pretty much standard. Which is quite a sad commentary, I suppose. I'm so tired right now that I can't even work up the usual indignation at whatever Power did this to my cat. Anyway, he ate about half of two cans of Fancy Feast, and a few bites of dry kitten food, and right now, almost an hour later, he seems pretty much his usual self. I know "They" say that the cats aren't aware of what's happening to them during a seizure, so it's more distressing to the humans. Not that that's much comfort.


* I meant to say, "Hi, Marianne!"