Monday, August 9, 2010

Finally dropped that 6PM dose of Keppra.....

Not intentionally - I probably never would have screwed up the courage to do it unless forced to by a crisis.  Which was, unfortunately, exactly what happened:  my mother had a heart attack on June 27.  With the ensuing hospitalization and the irregular hours I was spending at home, there was no way to get that 6:00 levetiracetam into Milk.  Actually, for more than six weeks, there has only rarely - almost never, actually -  been a 10:00 PM dose of phenobarb, either.   Without alternatives, I settled for twice a day dosing, whenever those two times might occur.  So, we're now down to somewhere between 9:00 and 10:00 AM for the first two pills, and somewhere between 10:00 and 11:00 PM for the second two.  It seems to be working.  Fingers crossed. Because the keppra generic is a large chunk of pill, I appear to have stopped giving him the liver-protective Denosyl that I do think can be a benefit to him.  Seeing if using it had reduced his ALT/AST levels, which have been elevated since he started on phenobarbital was one of my goals in doing the bloodwork.  Didn't happen........                           

I had arranged to bring Milk to the vet for blood-taking to send to Auburn to check his phenobarb and keppra levels.  The University has some sort of new arrangement that requires that the vet's office have  special address labels or something; at any rate, by the time the stickers had arrived at Dr. G's office, I was into spending all my time at the hospital, and the bloodwork never got done.  Hopefully, within the next week or two, I will be able to get Milk there and get the stuff done. 

He has seemed wobblier in recent months.  I have seen him attempt to jump up on the bathroom sink or the kitchen counter and fall at least once a week. (Did he misjudge the distance?  Was he too weak?)   He seems scrawnier than ever, although I weighed him tonight and he was 8 pounds, 13 ounces - not a wonderful weight for a cat as tall and long as he is, but not as awful as it might have been.  His appetite is very sturdy.   He has also - to my sincere distress - been doing a good bit of aggressive chasing of OneBun and even mimicking Busy's gnawing on his neck.    (Despite the addition of  prozac to Busy's daily routine, Milk turned up with a new dime-sized scab on his neck last week.)

Anyway, as far as I can tell, there is no indication that any seizures have occurred even with the reduced dose of levitiracetam (generic keppra).  He still sleeps every night draped over my ankle, and he tends to be the one who wakes me in the morning, standing on my chest.  It is such a relief and pleasure to realize that we're coming up on two years since his last seizure (on October 1.)