Tuesday, July 24, 2007

No seizures, but......

So far, so good - no seizures since July 19. (That's 5 days. Yippee.) The increased amount of phenobarb so far seems to be controlling the seizures, but Milk's spending an awful lot of his daytime hours under the bed, and his rear leg "weakness" has doubled or tripled. He's fallen off just about everything he tried to jump up onto for the last day or so. If I pick him up to set him on the floor, his back legs just sort of collapse under him. Walking across soft surfaces , he's hardly able to manuever. Given the loss of muscle tissue when he was rescued and the consequent walking problems then that seem to resolve themselves with adequate nutrition, I wonder if he is having more severe problems now. Especially since his appetite has been so negatively affected by the medication. I reread the Patient Information sheet that comes with the phenobarbital, but it doesn't mention "rear leg weakness". (Probably because humans don't HAVE rear legs........) I am concerned. I searched for "rear leg weakness" on the Yahoo epifelines website - where I distinctly remember reading something about it, but couldn't find anything except a discussion a day or so ago in which four people agreed that their cats had it, too. I was spending so much time and energy trying to ensure that Milk didn't fall during a seizure, and now I'm worrying about the non-seizure times, too. This poor sweet little cat. It's not fair. I'm thinking that, even though Dr. G. said it was okay to give him the extra 1/2 tablet once a day, I'm going to divide it in two and give 1/4 tablet twice a day. Although, it doesn't make sense to me - if they don't have to worry about how long it's been before/after a shot when they do the bloodwork because the amount of phenobarb in the blood evens itself out, what difference does it make if the two daily doses are uneven?