Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Same time and place, different day........

One more seizure. Crap. Well, I should be grateful it was only one, right?

He was sleeping between my feet, as usual. It took a few seconds to realize what was happening. There was less jaw snapping than usual, the body jerking was pretty much the normal amount, but towards the end, as I was wiping up some of the saliva from his face, he made these three very loud, scary-sounding, gutteral noises. Not exactly a shriek, but creepy. This is only the second time he's ever made noise during a seizure. The seizure ended five or six seconds later, and he just laid there. I wiped some more. Then suddenly, he jumped down and dashed off. It wasn't the usual pacing from before though. Not as long, and not covering as much territory. I went to the kitchen to fix him a bowl of food, expecting that he'd come in to eat, but he didn't. I went into the living room, and he was cleaning up a bowl that I'd left for Scruffy in case he dropped too low. (Couldn't we just please have one problem at a time, for Pete's sake?) I put the new bowl down and he eagerly started eating. I went to the bathroom, and when I came back, he had moved to the first bowl again. I'm a little nervous, remembering that the last seizures had come only five minutes apart, but so far, it's been about twenty minutes and nothing more has happened.

I wonder if the changing of parts of the seizure routine indicates some sort of progression of the disease? (Always dreading the possibility that he's going to start peeing during a seizure....) I'm surprised at this one happening, too, because we've been very regular with the medications, and he's been incredibly himself again. You'd never know, except that he still needs to gain a little weight and start eating a little better, that he'd even been that sad, falling-down, overdosed little white cat just a couple weeks ago. He has been very active - sometimes I worry that all that flying around all over the house might trigger a seizure, but so far, he's only had seizures when he's asleep.

I want to be more calm about this one. The last two really came as a shock, and I didn't handle the disappointment very well. At least it's been 10 days since the previous seizures. Think positively. I wonder if they increase Keppra based on breakthrough seizures. It would seem not, since Dr. L. was concerned about his weight for prescribing the dosage. Aha - he's gained six or seven ounces in the last few days - I wonder if that's significant. I didn't call about an appointment for his blood work because I have to take Scruffy to the eye doctor this week, but maybe if Stephen can go with me, I could just have the technician appointment for bloodwork...... Dr. L. can be happy that I didn't get her out of bed this time, anyway.

One last thing - Hope suggested keeping track of the full moons to see if there is any relationship between them and the seizures. There is a full moon now. I "borrowed" the moon phases thingy that Steve put on FDMB, and have added it to the blogs for both Scruffy and Milkshake. I believe there's also a way to use the moon phase website to go back and check other full moon dates - when I have a lot of extra energy, I'm going to do that, just for curiousity's sake, to the dates of Milk's seizures.