Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Bloodwork

I've been concerned about the increasing wobbliness Milk's been showing, and it's been about 5 months since his last phenobarb levels were done, so, I've decided to combine the phenobarb and Keppra testing, and have the vet do his local office testing for a regular CBC. My poor little white cat - he was quivering so hard it was visible the entire time we were in the office. And, while the vet did attempt to get the blood from Milk's thigh, he couldn't get enough. So, now Milk's got the shaved neck. I can't imagine what it must be like to see some total stranger coming toward your neck with a syringe, while another total stranger is holding you so you can't move. Poor cats.

Anyway, Dr. G. just called - didn't give me all the results, but I will ask for a copy the next time I'm down there. I had told him that I was interested in liver function results, and it turns out that the ALT was in the 200's - normal goes up to around a hundred. He suggested that, if I'm concerned, we could do a bile acids test; the original one, when Milk was diagnosed, was not done fasting, and we didn't do the preprandial/postprandial version. I told him that Antech can now do the urine Bile Acids test, which I would prefer. So, I think when they let me know how much they need, I'll have to devote myself to collecting a specimen. I am almost certain that a sterile test (using cystocentesis) isn't necessary, which would be nice; I'd rather not have to take Milk anywhere for as long as possible. (Turns out they need just a teeny 1 ml of urine - I asked Dr. G how much that is - no head for metric measurement - and he said a teaspoon is 2.5ml. I'm a little out of practice for catching urine since Scruffy's been off insulin, but I think I can probably do it, although Milkshake's not nearly the carefree pee-er that Scruffy was, and he doesn't seem as regular about it.

I have kind of wondered about the phenobarb levels. Before, whenever his levels were around 26, he usually started eating on his own again. So, I've been going along, thinking that, since he's eating with a degree of enthusiasm, his phenobarb levels must be okay.....Not necessarily true, I suppose. Rats.

Well, another 60 dollars for the urine bile acids test, which is worth doing, I guess. I've been giving him 1 Marin pill a day; I could increase it, after we see what the phenobarb levels are. I just don't think that reducing or removing phenobarbital is possible for Milkshake. Not without setting off a whole cascade of seizures, I'm afraid. And undoing all the seizure-free times he's had in the last six months.

I have a vague memory that ALT is responsive to stress and infection somewhere in the body - maybe the stress of today's visit, or the beginning gingivitis might have had an influence?

Dr. G. asked me how and what Milk is eating these days, and when I said he's eating enthusiastically for the first time in three years, and he's getting half Fancy Feast and half raw, Dr. G sort of collapsed in shock against the wall and started stuttering about salmonella and e coli. (When he asked if there was a less disease-prone animal than chicken to feed raw, I said, "Well, yeah, they've got rabbit and now there's frozen ground mouse." It was cruel; I shouldn't have done it. Millan.net