Thursday, February 19, 2009

The Dilemma

I was afraid of this. The Keppra and phenobarb levels came back this afternoon from Auburn. The bad news is the phenobarbital levels are 33.8, and the Keppra levels are 52.7. While I'm not so surprised about the phenobarb numbers - not HAPPY about them, but they were somewhat expected, given the physical difficulties I've been noticing for a couple weeks - the Keppra levels were something of a unpleasant surprise. (The technician I talked to at Auburn last week said to make a note to Dr. Booth, who's apparently in charge of their lab, asking about whether they have developed feline levels, or if they are still using the human numbers. However, when I got to the vet with Milk on Tuesday, the technician had made her own copy of the form for Auburn, and I wonder if she copied my question to Dr. Booth on the one she made? At any rate, there was no response from Dr. Booth.) The odd thing is, I've been cutting back the Keppra for the last three weeks or so. Milk now gets 1/4 and approx. 1/8 of a 500mg pill TID. That's about 187 mg each dose, I think. Significantly less than before. (Or not, depending on the accuracy of the previous math.......)

In the end of August, '08, when Milk had that run of three or four seizures over the course of a little more than a week, we increased his phenobarb dosage from 1/2 of a 15/16mg pill in the AM and 3/4 of a 15/16mg pill in the PM to 3/4 at both times. It seemed to work, and even though he had a couple of seizures at the end of September/October, I didn't make any changes in the amount of phenobarb, and he's now made it for 141 days since the last seizure. And, in the real world, 33.8 isn't way out of whack for phenobarb levels. Except, as Dr. G. said, except for Milkshake. The combination of the pheno levels at almost 34 and the ALT in the 200's certainly seems to imply that something's going on with Milk's liver. I guess that makes doing another bile acids test imperative. (Have not seen this cat near the litter box ONCE since we decided to do that testing. NOT ONCE.) I think I'm also going to add another 1/2 or whole marin every day.

Dr. G. wondered when he called tonight with the results if we should send a copy of them to Dr. L - the IM vet I didn't care for at all, and who said that she'd never approve giving a cat more than 125 mg of Keppra unless their weight justified it - or to Dr. A, the neurologist in Ohio. He was a consultant, rather than a person who seemed to intend to have a long-term relationship as Milkshake's doctor. I think Dr. G. would appreciate having someone to consult with about this whole mess. Now that there's actually a neurologist in Pittsburgh, maybe I should ask for a referral? The trouble is, I don't want to have to go through the pressure to have an MRI again, or to put Milk through any number of unpleasant tests and appointments unless it's unavoidable.

Nothing's ever simple, and sometimes it really stinks.