Saturday, March 28, 2009

Generic Keppra (levetiracetam) information

Generic Keppra - levetiracetam - is now available in the US. I normally order 200 500mg pills from Canada, so they last me quite a while, and I hadn't priced the new generic, until today. ****ETA: Blog entry for 6/09 shows the actual Costco price of $94.73 for 200 500mg pills!!!

I was picking up Milk's phenobarb at Costco this afternoon, so I asked for a price for generic Keppra. And was shocked! About $100 less than I have been paying from Canada, and I don't think that the AAA discount was applied. (Sometimes Costco says that their prices are already so low that they don't give the extra discount.)

This is the total cost the pharmacist gave me for 200 500mg levetiracetam pills at Costco: $129.70!

On-line, the prices apparently include the cost of shipping and handling - here are their generic on-line prices for 500mg pills:

30 pills - 28.71
50 pills - 43.55
100 pills - 81.91

(I don't know if doubling this price would be the actual charge for 200 pills or not, but that would be a whole lot more than $129.70! It makes me think maybe the pharmacist made a mistake, but I asked her to doublecheck, and she said the $129.70 was correct.)

I just opened the second Canadian bottle of 100 tablets, but it makes me feel like I should rush out and buy some more at Costco RIGHT NOW!