Monday, November 19, 2007

#34, damn it

Totally out of the blue, except that it's been on my mind today that it's been almost 10 days since the last seizure. Is ten days going to be the time frame that has to be acceptable? Well, anyway, it's the 9th day. I was sitting in the kitchen when the growling started. Milk was sleeping in one of the caves on the heated mat in front of the furnace vent - could hardly get much warmer and snugglier. The minute he started growling, all three of the other cats came running, which has almost never happened. And, because he was in the cave - very soft, but confined area, with only two round circular holes at each end, he was thrashing around without much room for the flopping stuff he did during the last seizure. I manuevered the cave around so that he could work his way out of it. Then he could stretch out on the floor.

Lots of saliva this time. A LOT of jerking and body-snapping movement. Again, it seemed like a much more physical, unpleasant seizure than his norm. Even after most of the movements stopped and he was just laying on his side, there were still frequent hard jerks - of his torso, not of his extremities - no paddling movements. He lay for probably a minute unblinking, and then got up but was very wobbly. He didn't come into the kitchen for food until I called him, which is odd, too - usually, he's out here waiting for me to get him something to eat. He seems okay now. No pacing. Ate almost two whole cans of Fancy Feast. His appetite the last week or so has been very poor, and I've been bottlefeeding him again at least once a day, so eating that much is good to see. The only other thing of note today is that he has slept most of the day - in the cave, instead of with me or one of the other cats. He really seems to appreciate the heated mat. I guess I'll watch and see if extra sleeping happens before the next seizure. It might be helpful to have some idea of triggers/forecasters. Not that there's anything to do about any of it....

I would like to know if it's possible to just use Keppra by itself. And if his phenobarb could be decreased any more - I'm thinking that maybe he should have his levels checked again, even though it's only been a couple of weeks since the last test. And if the Keppra could be safely increased. And I don't have a mechanism for conveying information to Dr. L. about what's going on with Milk, either. I would like to be able to email her the seizure record, or this stuff, or whatever. Faxing doesn't seem to be something I'm gonna be good at.