Tuesday, November 6, 2007

A whole big screw-up with the medication

We're coming to the end of the brand name Keppra, and at the same time, of the now-expired chicken-flavored phenobarb Vet Chews from BCP. I called the compounding pharmacy that was so unhelpful about fixing the liquid Keppra, and they were even more unhelpful about making me capsules with 10mg of phenobarb in them - they said they wouldn't do it; they would only make a 10mg liquid. We didn't have much luck with liquid before, and it was very traumatic for Milk (and for me!), so I guess we'll have to spend the $40 a month for Vet Chews. Tuna flavor, this time.

Milk won't eat the Chews - apparently regards them as being too similar to Pill Pockets - but they do make pilling him simpler. I asked Dr. G. to fax them another prescription, as the original refills had mysteriously expired (less than a week ago, of course) in only six months. I thought that everything was arranged, only to find out that, because phenobarb is a controlled substance, they have to have the actual prescription in their hands. I am HOPING that Dr. G's office was able to get the prescription in the mail yesterday, because I only have enough 10mg chews left to last until Friday. If the mail works efficiently, and BCP does the same and gets the chews in the overnight mail, hopefully, it won't screw things up any further. It's been another week since the last seizure. I could live with two a month. I'm a little nervous about the generic Keppra working the same, and they're larger than the brand name was. I wrap them in Pill Pockets and pop them into Milk's throat, so they should go down just like the other ones. If only they WORK like the other ones.....