Sunday, November 25, 2007

this was horrible.

#35. Absolutely the worst one yet. Started off kind of slowly, laying on his side on a blanket between and parallel to my calves. By the time the growling and snarling started, he was also beginning to flop violently. He flopped (like a fish out of water) so hard that he sat himself up in the meatloaf position. I couldn't get to him because he was facing me, and all that snarling is very scary - lots of teeth showing. A couple of his claws were stuck in my right calf. And he kept bouncing and bouncing. I was scared that he was going to fall off onto the floor, and all I could think to do was to try to gather the blanket up tightly to try to keep him from falling and to pull him closer, but also to not have to get too close. It sounds like Three Stooges, but it was truly awful. And for the second time, I forgot to put the camera out before I went to sleep, but I don't think that 1) I would have been able to manage taking a video without letting him fall on the floor, and 2) I ever want to see that again. I was so afraid he would hurt himself.

It took about 30 seconds after the flopping stopped for him to come out of it. There wasn't the "moment of consciousness" that was so distinct the last two seizures. He still seemed out of it when he jumped down, and he was very wobbly on his feet. He went to the kitchen to look for something to eat. He ate about 1/3 of one can and then came looking for something else, so I opened another can. He's huddled on the living room floor right now, almost a half hour afterwards.

There were no indications that he was going to have a seizure today. No excessive sleepiness, no differences in food preferences, or activity level, no changes with medication (except that his second Keppra was about 45 minutes early because I had to go out.) Early, you wouldn't think would make a difference, right?

This was a rarity - a "full moon" seizure. I truthfully don't think that the moon phase seems to have anything to do with it. What does worry me is that it's only been six days since the last seizure. This happened before, where they kept getting closer together, until they got to the place where there was only two days between events. I do NOT want that to happen again. I can't say that I've seen anything in his personality or abilities or anything that has been damaged by having three dozen seizures in eight months, but it can't be doing his brain any good, and it's breaking my heart.

I am really upset by this one.