Monday, January 7, 2008

It was my fondest desire.....

never to be sitting here again at the crack of dawn recording another damned seizure. But here we are, #38. I have been lulled into a false sense of security, right? I didn't even have the radar turned on for the preparatory foaming noises any more, so I don't know exactly what the beginning of this one was like. By the time I woke up enough to realize what was happening, he was flopping, and then the growling started, quite loud and vicious sounding. I didn't think to put my glasses on and turn on the light until after it was over, so I'm not sure about the salivation and other stuff. It seemed like it took forever to end, but that was probably because I was concentrating so hard (physically) on keeping him from flopping onto the floor. When it ended, he laid absolutely still for at least two minutes. Then he jumped down and headed off to look for something to eat. (Yay - food into him - I took advantage of an appetite that has been missing for days now, and after he ate about half a can of FF and wandered off, gave him some high-calorie, food-of-the-devil EVO dry.)

This may have been my fault. Five weeks seizure free. It seems almost miraculous. The signs that something was going on were there, however - and I even took him to the vet yesterday afternoon for bloodwork to see what his phenobarb level is. He has been wobblier lately than he has been for months. He fell off the cat tree twice in the last week - not when he was asleep, just didn't seem to physically have the strength to cling to it. When he shakes his head, he nearly tilts over. He has been eating virtually nothing voluntarily for days now. I'm back to bottlefeeding three or four times a day. And offering him everything under the sun to eat, (9 different kinds of dry food and another 7 of canned!) none of which he is interested in. Anyway, I have this need to reduce the phenobarb as much as possible because I'm afraid of what even the smaller dosage is doing to his liver. So, I thought I could go down to 1/2 of a 15mg tablet BID to replace the 10mg. compounded capsules. Only, and I don't know if this was solely inattention on my part, or what, but twice in the last 24 hours (10 separate doses of pills), I discovered one of his pills - once the 1/2 Keppra, and once the phenobarb tablet - outside his body long after I thought I got them into him. And now I'm on the verge of hysteria, afraid that this is going to precipitate one of those whole new series of seizures that happens when the medication dosage fails and it's harder to get control again. Puhleeze don't let that happen, God.

My poor sweet Milk.