Saturday, January 19, 2008

Where is the Keppra?

Because of the greatly increased dosage of Keppra (generic), I've used up the last prescription from Canada a long time before I expected to. And I wasn't aware, until it was too late, that there were no REFILLS on that original prescription. So, I called Dr. G and asked him to fax a prescription for 200 pills this time (should give me a little more than 2 months worth and they won't have to break up a bottle). Which he did. I debated about using a different Canadian pharmacy because of the free shipping issue, but when I figured out the prices, even with the $10 shipping charge, my pills were considerably less expensive than the ones that other people on the epi-kitty site were buying in Canada. So, I decided to stick with the original. They were able to send the pills out on Monday of this week - and I got a tracking number that shows that they entered the "destination country" at 5:53 AM on 1/17/08. So where are they? It's 1/20/o8 as I type this. It says "Expresspost" as the carrier - but I don't know if that's only in Canada, or here. I have enough for one more dose of generics tonight at 2 AM, and then I have enough of the 90mg compounded capsules that we started out with to give him 180 mgs TID for the next two days, which I hope will be close enough to his usual dosage. Tomorrow, I guess I'll call Dr. G and get another prescription for a local pharmacy. Trouble is, the 250 mg pills aren't usually kept on hand here in pharmacies, because most humans take the larger dosage pills...... I know that Sam's Club had to special order their Keppra pills and I had to wait over the weekend for them to get the 250 mg pills in. (Wonder if I used up all of those pills? I must have - I cleaned up the pill corner last week, and the only extra keppra there was the bottle of compounded capsules.)

I noticed that on the email notification of shipping, it says that if I give permission, they can ship from their "international shipping center." One of those is in Texas, the person I talked to a couple months ago said. If that's the case, why am I waiting for deliveries from Canada? Need to check on that. It probably has something to do with getting a generic that isn't available yet in the US, I suppose.

I'm sure there's a lesson to be learned from this: I have to make sure the next time that I reorder EARLY. EARLY. EARLY. But WHERE ARE THEY NOW?