Monday, October 1, 2007

And another......

Well, aside from the time - 5:35 AM (how come these always happen when I've only had an hour's sleep?) - this was a pretty atypical seizure. He was lying on his side, and there was hardly any motion at all. Very little jerking of his shoulders until almost the end, and no movement of his legs at all. A minimal amount of foaming. Almost constant snarling sounds during the whole short seizure. And when it ended, he just lay there. His back was to me, so I couldn't see his face, but I could tell that his eyes were open. Otherwise, I would have thought that he fell asleep again. After three or four minutes, he jumped up and went over to an empty food bowl, looking for something to eat. No pacing. I gave him a can of FF, which he devoured quickly. When it was gone, he was still looking for food, so I gave him a few pieces of dry. He went into the living room after eating and sat in the meat loaf position.

A technician called from the Specialty Hospital on Saturday morning and left a message that Milk's bloodwork results were in. Unfortunately, and stupidly, she didn't leave the number for his phenobarb level in the message, so we've had another two days of stewing about whether the current dosage - 8mg BID - is still threatening his liver function. I don't know what number of seizures Dr. L. would consider acceptable or when she would make some dosage adjustment. Hopefully, I'll be able to talk to her today.

Every time Milk starts acting totally normal, bingo - another seizure.

I am depressed.

Addition: The phenobarb level was 21, which is good, except for the fact that he's had four seizures in two weeks and the interval between them is shrinking rapidly..... I was surprised that the vet didn't order liver function tests to be done at the same time, considering that the ALT and AST were way out of whack a couple weeks ago. And Dr. L didn't call, so I don't know if there's anything to be done about adjusting the medication, either. It was my impression that Keppra dosing is done strictly on weight, which would make it less likely that his dose would be increased, I guess. Hopefully, maybe she'll call tomorrow. Or I can leave a message for her. As much as I am not crazy about pushing more pills down his throat, I would also like him to be on Milk Thistle, too. (I'm convinced it's what saved my liver and put me into remission.)