Sunday, October 28, 2007

Chiropracty and bloodwork





I took Milk on Thursday and had blood drawn to test his lead levels, phenobarbital levels, and bile acids. (I also wanted the ALT and AST, etc, but Dr. G. didn't seem to feel that that was significant if we had the bile acids.) Results came back on Friday: phenobarb level - 25, lead level - 0, and bile acids, 17. Previous bile acids result, done when he was first diagnosed, was 6.8. I don't know how significant this result is, though. He wasn't really fasted prior to the test, because he ate a few pieces of dry kitten food three or four hours beforehand. And there wasn't any feeding/follow-up blood test. The fact remains, the bile acids are supposed to be below 10. I assume that I'll hear from Dr. L next week when she gets her copy of the testing. I still don't know what this test shows about the condition or function of his liver, particularly after the excessive phenobarbital levels. I would like to know if there are supplements (milk thistle, actigall, etc ) that might be helpful for him to take. Not that I'm eager to give him a whole mess of new pills.

Saturday, we went to Dr. Doug for a chiropractic exam and treatment. There were a whole mess of vertebrae out of whack; I counted 9 times when the Dr. stopped and worked on an area. Milk was his usual sweet, silent little person - not a peep out of him during the two hours in the car, or while we were at the vet's. He was very glad to be home again, and ran around and let everyone else sniff him. He spent most of the evening napping in the dining room under the rocking chair; he just seemed worn out.

Eleven days without a seizure......