Friday, October 12, 2007

Well, this one was a surprise.

And an unpleasant one, at that. It seems like every time I look at Milk and think how well he's doing, bingo - another seizure to add to the list. Twice yesterday, he climbed up and stood on my chest and looked into my eyes, and he just seemed so normal.

Description - I'd have to say this one seemed more "violent", and yet, in reality, he didn't move much at all. In the middle of it, he was actually bouncing up and down while laying on his side - there was huge amount of movement, but it was very small in scope. He was sopping wet all over with saliva by the time it was over. I think it's the growling that makes these last few seizures seem worse than the earlier ones - it gives me the sensation, listening to him and watching him, that he's angry or vicious or something. Which is clearly not true, of course. I didn't put the light on until he'd climbed down, so I don't know if there was all of the blinking and jerking of his head and eyes again, but I kind of think that there wasn't; at least, I didn't feel any movement at all once the seizure ended, and he was laying between my ankles. He laid afterward without moving or making any noise for almost three minutes - I had to restrain myself from poking him to make sure he was alive - and the seizure itself lasted less than a minute. He jumped down and headed for the kitchen to eat. By the time I got out a can of food and got it ready for him, he'd circled the living room/dining room/kitchen, but it didn't have the character of pacing that he used to demonstrate after a seizure. He ate and ate. I was typing this by the time he was done eating, and he came over and jumped up onto the keyboard and looked around. He seemed very alert and coordinated. His fur was a mess from the saliva - all stiff and sticking up in clumps. And now he's sitting on the arm of the sofa, surveying the territory.

The reaction of the other three is interesting. They have always seemed minimally curious during a seizure, but once the growling and snarling started, they now seem a little scared. Burble and Busy climbed up onto the couch and sat in their kitty pi's, and Puffy just sat in the middle of the floor staring. He was sleeping beside Milk when the seizure started, and it surprised me that I had to actually put him down to wipe up Milk - I would have thought that all the noise and jerking would have made him move on his own. They don't do any "checking" afterwards, either - no sniffing or watching him suspiciously or anything. Life just goes on....

This is the fourth day on the increased dosage of Keppra (brand name prescription from Sam's Club.) I have to hope that using the generic from Canada when it gets here doesn't make things worse. He's still getting 8mg of phenobarbital every 12 hours, too. That's five doses of medication spread out over 24 hours every single day, and yet the seizures keep coming.

I was just looking down below to add the date to the moon information, and realized from the previous post that it has only been since September 26 - a little more than two weeks - that Milk's seizures have included the creepy, noisy growling. I wonder if it's normal that the features of seizures change over time, or if it's a factor of the kind/amount of medication. Not that it makes much difference, one way or another. I'm still dreading waking up to find that he's peed all over the place. Puhleeze don't let that happen, God.

I'd like to be reassured that all of this isn't causing some sort of brain damage. Actually, I'd like it to just STOP. Period.