Sunday, October 7, 2007

Seizure #28


I didn't know this one was occurring until I heard Milk growling from the bedroom, and Busy and Burble went running in. Milk and Puffy must have been sleeping on the bed - they snuggle up in there frequently. There was a wide swath of spots on the bedspread from his saliva, and the cuticles of two claws. By the time I got there, he was laying on his side and was quiet. The only body motion I saw was a large amount of blinking and jerking around his eyes and his head. He lay still for a little while, then jumped down and went to look for food. No pacing. He meowed while I was getting his food, which hasn't happened before, and he ate most of the contents of three bowls. He groomed a little bit, and now he's sitting like a meatloaf behind my chair. I know that they say that people are not aware of what happens when they have a seizure, and the animal communicator said that he told her he just goes away from his body until it's over, but it makes me so very sad to think that this keeps happening to him.

I had a bad feeling about this today - he slept most of the afternoon and early evening in my computer chair, where I could see him from the living room, and I kept expecting that he'd have another seizure there, like the last one. He seems generally alert these days, but much of the physical stuff he's been doing since the last phenobarb reduction - leaping up onto the top of the cat tree, jumping from the wing chair to the back of the couch, chasing Burble up and down the steps - has pretty much disappeared. I don't know if he's aware that his balance isn't quite right again or what, but there is much less activity now.

I have the name and phone number and a form to fax to a Canadian pharmacy tomorrow. (If only I had a fax machine...) I have to call them to see if the prescription I have that is for an odd number of pills and only two refills is acceptable. (Their form says that they only ship whole bottles of pills - regardless of what the prescription says. Which could be a plus, actually. And that they prefer to fill three months worth of prescriptions at a time. I hope that I don't have to drag all the way back to Etna again to get more prescriptions from Dr. L.) The price difference is significant - 45 pills at Sam's Club - the cheapest around here, with the discount from the AAA - costs $92.32. ($2.05 per pill of the brand name Keppra - no generic in the US.) The Canadian price for 50 brand name Keppra pills is $72.50, or 1.45 per pill, and the generic pills are sold in lots of 100 for $112.50, $1.12 per pill. Shipping is an additional $10 unless the cost of the pills is more than $100. Which I could do, if I can get the prescription stuff straightened out. The length of time for shipping says to expect at least two weeks, which means that there's going to have to be a lot of planning and keeping track if this is going to work. And I'll have to figure out how to get the fax on the printer working....

There was a big argument about the treatment of cluster seizures in cats on the epifelines' board this week. I don't know for sure, but I suppose that Milk's seizures on several occasions would have been considered "clusters" - there were more than one in a short period of time. The worst was three, I think, in an 8 hour span. Dr. L did give me a vial of valium to use in case of status seizures. I can't even bear to think about it.